Regional Good Governance Public-Private Partnership Platform (R2G4P) project, where ACER is a local partner, organised the summer school: “Follow the Money: Tracking Illicit Financial Flows and Countering of Sanctions’ Evasion Schemes” in Belgrade on the 29th of May 2023.
The event presented good practices and promoted:
- Risk assessment and prevention of corruption, political patronage and illegal lobbying
- Investigating and tackling illicit financial flows and undue foreign influence
- Use of anti-money laundering and investment screening mechanisms
- Protecting media pluralism and challenging disinformation
- Efficient sanctioning of corruption and illicit finance
- Rebuilding political and economic alliances, and establishing robust monitoring mechanisms and transparency in the distribution of recovery funds
The participants agreed that consistent capacity building is needed in multiple areas. Financial forensic experts need to update their knowledge on new and emerging methods for illicit financial flow generation, transfer, and use. Prosecutors and judges should establish new practices that align with changing legislation, such as asset forfeiture without the need for predicate crime. School teachers should play a stronger role in imparting media literacy and critical thinking, enabling students to identify and denounce disinformation.