Posted on October 25, 2018
Applicants are invited to apply for the following position at the Albanian Center for Economic Research (ACER)
Job title: Researcher (full-time position)
Organization: Albanian Center for Economic Research (ACER)
ACER is Albania’s first independent non-governmental organization, dedicated to acceleration of Albania’s socio-economic transition and development. Acer seeks to promote economic reform in Albania by conducting independent research on economic growth and assisting in the creation of an adequate institutional framework for reform; encouraging public debate on several economic transition issues; drafting laws; advocating the country’s policy and decision-makers. ACER provides analysis of public attitudes toward the social and economic aspects of transition and promotes the strengthening of non-governmental sector to support Albanian’s democratic progress. For more information, please go to: www.acer.org.al.
Job location: Tirana and frequently also other main districts of the country.
Application closing date: November 5, 2018
Under the supervision of ACER Executive Director, main duties and responsibilities of this position are related with the implementation of the ongoing research activities in all projects related to socio-economic issues.
These tasks will be implemented in close collaboration with staff assigned to the project implementation (part-time experts).
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The main duties and responsibilities of Researcher will be:
- Plan, supervise and follow up of the project activities under guidance of ACER Executive Director;
- Develop and maintain contacts with international and national, public and private institutions for general coordination and exchange of information (including by networking through electronic means), to conceptualize, design and implement projects’ activities;
- Provide guidance to ACER experts/consultants on reports’ writing and other deliverables;
- Lead and participate in complex field missions, including meeting government officials and other relevant stakeholders;
- Specific coordination and exchange of information on project implementation;
- Collect information, develop, update, analyze, and maintain data bases and information systems;
- Undertake qualitative and quantitative analysis of economic development, analyze and present economic data and information gathered from diverse sources;
- Conduct research using focus groups, interviews, and document review;
- Prepare and contribute to studies/reports’ preparation as per ACER implementing projects, mostly focused on socio-economic issues;
- Initiate and coordinate outreach and capacity building activities, including conducting workshops and seminars;
- Contribute to the preparation of various outputs, such as policy briefs, working and internal papers, individually and in partnership with other project teams and ACER partners;
- Monitor and assess project development and implementation;
- Perform other related duties as required by the Executive Director.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Master’s degree in economics, econometrics, statistics, public policy, or other related fields.
- 1+ years of relevant work experience, including designing and managing evaluations, quantitative analysis, field research, and managerial experience in a developing country;
- Ability to conduct research, facilitate stakeholder interviews, and institutional analysis across non-profit, public, and private sectors;
- Outstanding level of attention to detail and analytical thinking skills;
- Ability to carry out research and draft reports within a strict time frame, and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines;
- Working experience with Stata or SPSS (SPSS preferred). Experience with additional programming language including electronic survey programming is a plus;
- A minimum of a year of professional experience producing policy analysis and providing policy advice, including at the national and international organizations level;
- Experience in economic and development policy analysis, including country level project implementation;
- Knowledge of EU and UN project circles, both at the national and program levels are highly desirable.
- Proven technical and project management expertise in the field of socio-economic issues;
- Proven ability to plan, organize and manage projects, requiring an in-depth understanding of its strategic direction and ability to integrate personal work with the project team;
- Ability to organize technical meetings;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, including gender balance;
- Effective written, oral and presentation skills, including the ability to draft and editing of reports, studies and other documents;
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office, email, and Internet);
- Excellent English language writing and speaking skills required, including demonstrated ability to write concisely about complex socio-economic issues in English for a national and international audience.
Candidates will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Extent and relevance of experience in quantitative economic research and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct economic research and to prepare analytical reports.
- Quality of both oral and written communication skills in English.
- Working knowledge of other ACER up to date fields of activity would be an asset.
Two weeks probation period, immediately after this period.
At least twelve months, with the possibility of two years extension.
For more information please contact ACER office, via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this position, is required:
- EU format CV in English;
- Letter of motivation in English;
- Two Letters of References issued by a university professor, and last employer (in case of having work experience).
The documents above should be submitted to email@example.com.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview appointment.